It is normal to lose about 50-100 hairs every day. There are many causes of hair loss. When sudden hair loss is noticed , the cause may be due to illness, diet, medicine, or childbirth. If hair loss is gradual and becomes more noticeable with each passing year, a person may have hereditary hair loss. Certain hair care practices also can cause noticeable hair loss.
What Causes Hair Loss?
The causes of hair loss can be broadly grouped into following heads:
Disorders / Disease of Hair :
1 . Hereditary thinning or baldness (also called Androgenetic alopecia) is the most common cause of hair loss. When men have hereditary hair loss, they often get a receding hairline. Women, on the other hand, see noticeably thinning of hair. The first sign of hair loss for many women is a widening of hair parting.
2 .Alopecia areata : This is an autoimmune disease which means the body attacks itself. In this case, the body attacks its own hair causing smooth, round patches of hair loss on the scalp and other areas of the body.
3. Cicatricial (scarring) alopecia : This is a rare disease, it destroys a person’s hair follicles. Scar tissue forms where the follicles once were, so the hair cannot re-grow.
- Underlying medical condition:Many diseases including thyroid disorder and anemia, cause hair loss. By treating the disease, hair loss often can be stopped or reversed.
- Illness: Significant hair loss can occur after an illness. A major surgery, high fever, severe infection, or even the flu can cause hair loss.
- Cancer treatments:Radiation therapy and chemotherapy can cause hair loss. This hair loss is often temporary, but it can cause great distress.
- Ringworm of the scalp: Without effective treatment, ringworm can cause balding.
- Trichotillomania : This medical disorder causes people to repeatedly pull out their own hair.
Hormones and stress
- Child birth: After child birth falling estrogen levels cause this type of hair loss. The hair loss is temporary. In a few months, women see their hair re-grow.
- Menopause:Hair loss is common during menopause. This loss is often temporary. Hair re-grows with time.
- Stress: Experiencing a traumatic event can cause hair loss.
Dieting and poor nutrition
- Weight loss:The hair loss often appears 3 to 6 months after losing the weight. This hair loss is common. The hair re-grows without help.
- Vitamin A:Too much vitamin A can cause hair loss. Once the body stops getting too much vitamin A, normal hair growth resumes.
- Protein:When the body does not get enough protein, it rations the protein it is getting by shutting down hair growth .After about 2 to 3 months of protein deficiency , hair loss becomes noticeable. Eating more protein will stop the hair loss.
- Iron: Not getting enough iron can lead to hair loss.
- Eating disorder:When a person has an eating disorder, hair loss is common.
Some prescription medicines can cause hair loss. These include: Blood thinners, High-dose vitamin A, medicines that treat arthritis, depression, gout, heart problems, and high blood pressure, birth control pills, Anabolic steroids (steroids taken to build muscle and improve athletic performance) may cause hair loss.
Products: Frequent bleaching, regular or improper use of dyes, gels, relaxers, and hair sprays also can cause hair breakage. Blow dryers, flat irons, and other devices tend to damage hair.
Improper washing, drying, and combing practices often cause the hair to break.
Depending on the cause the hair loss can be treated. People suffering with hair loss should consult an expert and sought treatment. Loss of hair can cause low self esteem and confidence. Visit Cosmo Derm Clinic, Faridabad and meet our experts to find a solution to your problems and get best results.